Sunday, April 15, 2012

DIY Pop-up Birthday Cake Card

Card making is just not one of my skills, but check this out.  I can't wait to show this to you.  I'm so proud!



I made that today, and it was a cinch.

If you're not familiar with Robert Sabuda's pop-up children's books, you've got to check them out.  They are like no other pop-up book you have ever seen.  Each page is a moving paper sculpture, a true work of art.  I made this card using a pattern on Robert Sabuda's website.  He offers a ton of free card patterns for download.  There's also a gallery of cards folks have made using his templates.  Trust me, mine doesn't come close to measuring up, but for a first attempt, I'm still proud.

All you need to do is go here, download the PDF and follow the instructions.  I did change a few things.  Here's what you need to do if you want the colorful version like mine.

Instead of printing onto card stock, print the PDF on regular paper.  I chose two different scrapbook papers for the cake and candles and used construction paper for the flames.  I just placed the pattern on top of the scrapbook paper and cut them out together.  I got lazy cutting the flames, so they are off a little.

Because the scrapbook paper is only colored on one side, instead of folding the scalloped icing down according to the instructions, I cut it off and adhered it to the cake with double sided tape.  I actually used a thin layer of hot glue to affix the pieces to the card, because I use hot glue on everything.  It dries quickly and holds firm. 

If, like me, you are not using the paper you printed onto for your card itself, you'll need to mark where to place the glue on the base of the card.  I used the round edge of a paper clip  to transfer the glue placement guide from the pattern to my card.  You'll already have your paper clip out per the instructions to help you fold your pop-up pieces.

That's it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment