Friday, May 11, 2012


This week's theme for the Project Run and Play sew-along challenge asked us to find inspiration from the movies.  Breakfast at Tiffany's opens with Audrey Hepburn wearing an elegant black dress that flows from a circular collar. The dress is accessorized with a strand of pearls. My girl would eat those pearls if they were left in loose strands, but I thought I could mimic the look by attaching beads to the dress.

I envisioned a black dress with a satiny circle collar covered in faux pearls. Then when I couldn't find anything in my pile of castoff shirts that would work for the fabric, I headed off to the store. I'd already found my satin and was about to throw some black knit into the cart, when some fabric across the aisle caught my eye.


It was this wispy (polyester of all things) green with polk-a-dots fabric that had a gorgeous drape. Back went the black, and into the cart went the green polk-a-dot. Then I got to thinking about the beads. Pearls would work, but this dress was calling for some brown beads with character. Trouble One showed me some wooden buttons she really likes on one of her sweaters, and I thought, "That's it. That's the look we go for." I found some brown beads that came sort of close to the look, but I also grabbed some green stones.


Now I was going to tell you about how Tiffany's is where you go if you want to buy a rock, so I embellished the dress with rocks. But really Trouble One just happened to want these green stones on her dress instead of the brown ones, so I went with it. But check it out, I didn't have any buttons that really worked for the back closure, so I used a rock instead--and the jewelery stringing stuff (What do you call it?) for the loop. Hey, when it's midnight you make do with what you have.

Okay, so the dress doesn't look much like Audrey. But the idea was to find inspiration in the movie, right? Not to copy it. At least not necessarily. And, I don't know, it's kind of classic, isn't it? Aside from the rocks. Maybe Audrey would have liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment